I saw this topic on a blog that was really cute and interesting and made a note to myself to write about it. I would love to credit that blog but I haven’t the foggiest idea what/ where/ who, nothing! Whoever you are, mysterious stranger, thanks for the topic idea!
I’m going to try for 10 words for a Freebie Top Ten Tuesday post.
Obviously, some of these are Buzz phrases, but let’s not get too technical, okay?
I think you’ll recognize the pattern pretty quickly:
1. Fairy Queen (not princesses as much. Weird, huh?)
2. Magical War (and/or newfound magical ability)
3. Monster and Ghost Slayers
4. Hot Cowboy (next door)
5. Discovers a Secret
6. Maggie Steifvater – technically, this is an author’s name. Other buzz names are: Holly Black, Neil Gaiman, Cinda Chima
7. Book, bookstore, library - I love books about bookish things. Added points if the book or book place is possibly magical or holds a secret.
8. Paranormal romance (especially if there are vampires, werewolves, or other shape-shifter types).
9. Cheesy smut lines (especially in the context of number 4 or number 7)
10. On the streets of [insert major city name] – I love urban settings, especially urban fantasy, so am often intrigued by those stories set in NYC, Detroit, etc. Interestingly, I am also drawn to "in a small Southern town."
11. Bonus Buzz words: Fairy Tale retellings
See the pattern? I’m mostly a fantasy reader! I also enjoy non fantasy books but I’m not sure what really turns me onto more realistic fiction. I guess I love any story with strong relationships that overcome conflict. But if there is a wizard and a kissy scene, that makes it better!